Episode 17: They Go Up
February 5, 2011
- This happened a bit ago, but we just found out about it. A local 50+ sprinter was busted by the IAAF for doping; two-year suspension.
- Registration for Brooklyn Half is tomorrow at Noon. NYRR still doesn’t know when the race itself begins though. It’s been posted at 9:30 and 7. Now it’s “TBD.” I’ve asked NYRR about it; no response yet. Club runners are warned to enter because NYRR may be difficult about late entries although it’s a club race.
- Brenn: Bernard Lagat going for 2-mile record in Armory.
- Julie published a piece in the on-line edition of Running Times on cross-training. Not your typical stuff. And Joe will be on RunnersRoundTable on Wednesday on this very subject.
- Frank and Steve spoke of the PPTC’s Cherry Tree 10-miler and 10-mile relay on Feb. 20. It’s the same day as the Taconic RR’s Freezer 5-miler at FDR Park in northern Westchester.
- And Steve will be on a panel on Social Media with NYRR’s Sean Haubert on Thursday at 4 at the JackRabbit store on 14th Street, moderated by Karla Bruning.
Blog of the Week
- Julie selected: WashingtonRanHere
The main topic: The Empire State Building Run-Up, which Amy ran.
- She tells us her story.
- And we talk about other stair-climb races, including what was the Nike Run the Rock but not has become a charity-centric event at 30 Rock.
- Winner of the movie contest: Kevin Kenny identified “They go up”: It’s from “Ghostbusters.”
- Julie, Ari, and Frank ran NYRR’s Gridiron Classic 4-miler in Central Park
- First-timer participant Russ ran the Mid-Hudson 5-miler in Wappinger Falls.
Moment of Zen: Steve and his dog.