Episode 79: Rambling with Brenn and Joe
Brenn and Joe spoke of the NYRR Mini and the adidas Grand Prix at Ichan Stadium, both on Saturday, June 9. Joe commented on a Times article on the meet that was nearly completely about Oscar Pistorius. He promised to post links to the Science of Sport series that pretty convincingly establishes that Pistorius has an unfair advantage. Here are the most recent (there are more):
- From the go-kart racer to the F1 driver: The scientific interpretation of the Pistorius research (8/23/11).
- The second research study – what it really found about Oscar Pistorius (8/24/11).
- Pistorius – the scientific evidence and the PR machine (12/29/11).
On The Radio
Not really. But good for your MP3 player (I avoid references to Apple products whenever possible but these can be downloaded through (not at) iTunes.)
Brenn mentioned MarathonTalk.com. Here’s the Shorter interview. (As to the 1972 marathon, Kenny Moore’s “The Long Blue Line: A Rerun” opens his book “Best Efforts”. It is one of the best bits of running journalism you’ll ever read.)
Competitor Radio has great interviews. Here are some recent ones:
- Deena Kastor.
- Lauren Fleshman (her blog). Here’s her description of Race Day.
- Amy Hastings.
- Desiree Davila.
- Ryan Hall (post-trials; one of a bunch of interesting interviews with Hall).
- Andy Hampsten. (OK, he’s not a runner. But he was one of the US’s top cyclists in the 80s, winner of the Giro.)
- Meb Keflezighi (pre-trials).
- Dave Goggins. (Not elite, but a very interesting guy.)